Parents are increasingly choosing to breastfeed their baby. Fortunately, because breastfeeding has many advantages for both mother and baby. Breast milk contains antibodies, good bacteria and fatty acids that cannot be mimicked. Partly because of this, breastfeeding reduces the risk of various disorders in both mother and baby.
Although about 98% of all mothers are able to breastfeed their baby, practice shows that breastfeeding is a natural process, but that this process does not always come naturally.
Various factors cause for additional guidance to be required from a lactation consultant.
A lactation consultant is an expert in breastfeeding and holds the international diploma from the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners.
Some reasons to hire a lactation consultant are;
- You are planning to breastfeed, and you want information and advice, for example when using medication.
- You have breastfed before and that was not a pleasant experience
- You have problems latching on your baby
- Breastfeeding is painful
- You have a (recurring) breast infection
- You have insufficient or too much milk
- Your baby cries a lot and you wonder if this is due to breastfeeding
- You want to breastfeed after breast surgery.